Thursday, 14 January 2010

"Le Petit Prince" (The Little Prince)






"Le Petit Prince" (The Little Prince) by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is a French classic. It´s a really beautiful, really intelligent yet simple book, and I love to read it. I bought this book as the Christmas present to Anja.


The first time I read "Le Petit Prince" (The Little Prince), I was deeply touched by the following words:


The fox said, "I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me. The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat . . ."


So the little prince tamed the fox. And when the hour of his departure drew near. . .

"Ah," said the fox, "I shall cry."

"It is your own fault," said the little prince. "I never wished you any sort of harm; but you wanted me to tame you. . ."

"Yes, that is so," said the fox.

"But now you are going to cry!" said the little prince.

"Yes, that is so," said the fox.

"Then it has done you no good at all!"

"It has done me good," said the fox, "because of the color of the wheat fields."

As it applies to my case, I had never thought I would be happly indulged in the world of art and design years ago. I am the the tamed fox and the the world of art and design is my little prince. At least, I am here, in front of the gate of this beautiful new world: It has done me really good, and I am grateful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh! one of my old time favorites, and the passage you cited is wonderful (you may want to check this http://caramelcaramelo.blogspot.com/2009/12/ephemere.html the extract is in french and english). lovely also the way you made the parallel with your own work and discoveries. lovely! have a wonderful week end. kenza.

alliot + iza said...

"The little prince" and "阿Q正傳" are my favorite books!!! They are both very inspiring to me. I love how you relate yourself to the book :)
Last time, I read "The little prince" to iza ... when we came across this : the pilot drawn a box and told little prince it was the sheep he wanted ... she couldn't stop laughing ...
When we read "阿Q正傳", she seemed like reading a comic ... but to me, these are comics with tears.